Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Thermal Vision Dutch: A figure I had no idea I wanted until SDCC 13


The first figure I'd like to take a look at has been out for a bit now, but it is such a unique figure, I thought it a good place to start. Plus, I just received it as a part of a large Pile of Loot from Big Bad Toy Store. It is non other than the Thermal Vision Dutch figure from NECA's longtime Predators line, this now being Series 11. Many were pumped up (yeah I meant that) when Arnold's Dutch character was added to the line, and while we certainly expected variants, few expected this.




Last year there was much hype when this ridiculously fun repaint showed up in the NECA booth at SDCC. I'm not one that needs every version of a character in my collection (sure I buy repaints, but just not a completest) but I knew I would be adding this to the collection when release date came. Plus I actually didn't own this figure yet. This is a repaint of the Jungle Encounter Dutch (seen below) and the only other Dutch I had deemed worthy of a purchase until now was the Jungle Patrol Dutch (basically this with a shirt on).


Out of the package the first thing I noticed was something that actually surprised me. The paint detail is only on the front of the figure. Ultimately this doesn't reflect negatively on the figure, but I was taken aback initially. This is a choice that actually makes sense on NECA's part because painting the back of the figure is an unnecessary expense for the most part (since most will either keep it carded or display him facing front). The only down side really is for those wishing to take some creative pictures with the Predator behind Dutch, although I can't see that many people really making an issue out of it (people NEVER overreact on the Internet do they?!?).





Speaking on that paint though, it really is something to see and compliments the sculpt nicely. It has such a "can't stop staring at it" effect on you. First off the translucent green plastic is so fun, it would visually pop off of any toy shelf and then to add the reds and yellow in there...holy crap balls your eyes can't not find this guy instantly in the midst of other figures. Many times, unless you prominently display a figure, toys become one mass of colors and visuals. This guy though? Yeah, that's not going to happen, he's gonna stick out for sure.





Dutch comes with three weapons (just like Jungle Encounter Dutch) and those are his rifle, handgun and knife. In addition to the weapons, the belt and vest are both separate pieces, but are not removable. Both the handgun and knife can be holstered in said belt.




  

Dutch holds both guns quite well and the articulation allows the ability to have both hands gripping the gun at the same time (even the handgun, which is a huge plus). The knife on the other hand does not fit into either hand, but fits great into the holster. While a bit disappointing, this again doesn't take away from the overall greatness of the figure because lets face it...you're going to pose him with the guns!


Being that this is a newer NECA figure it comes with all of the great articulation that has really upped the level of awesomess of their offerings. While the ball jointed shoulders, swivels & bends at the elbows are all great, the articulation that I have been most impressed by are their torso and nicely hidden knee joints along with the inclusion of ankle pivots. Being able to properly twist his torso and position his legs to get some great stances is where the added articulation really improves their figures.



This figure is currently available a few places online for $16.99 (amazon and toys r us) and I would recommend getting him now, as this will be a figure that will be sought after once they are gone from the shelves (and online stores). With the state of toy collecting being moved primarily online (especially in NECA's case since I only see them in TRU) I can absolutely see someone discovering this figure later on and wanting to go back and get one, so I would expect secondary prices to be a little higher on this guy than the other Dutch figures.

NECA are masters at maximizing the use of their sculpts...but by their use of paint doing it in a smart way which allows them to create something that is both nostalgic and brand new. Seeing what they have done with this paint job, I really want to see what they will do with this paint job...


                                                           or will it look more like this?



If you have made it this far on my first review, I say thank you. If you have Thermal Vision Dutch, please let me know your thoughts on him and lets continue the conversation!

1 comment:

  1. I'm kind of obsessed with this toy. I haven't purchased it yet (and unfortunately won't for budgetary reasons), but it is such a cool creative innovation. Everytime I go into TRU I hold it in my hands and swoon. I'm usually not a fan of translucent figures because it's often such a cheap gimmick ("limited edition invisible version!"), but occasionally it enhances the figure in an ingenius way, and this Dutch is a prime example. I hope a few of these go on super-clearance a year from now like those $1 hunger games figures hidden on the endcaps right now.

    ReplyDelete